Red wedding dress meaning
A red wedding dress is a sign of good luck in many cultures. In China, red is the color of happiness, and it is traditional for brides to wear red on their wedding day.
In India, a red wedding dress is often seen as a sign of fertility and prosperity. In Western culture, a bride wearing a red wedding dress is often thought to be daring and unique.
Whether you are looking for good luck or simply want to stand out from the crowd, a red wedding dress could be the perfect choice for you.
Read on to learn more about the meaning and tradition of red wedding dresses around the world.
Stylish Accs dress
Red wedding dress traditions
While the meaning and tradition of red wedding dresses vary from culture to culture, there is one common thread: Red is a symbol of good luck.
In many cultures, red is associated with happiness, fertility, and prosperity.
If you are looking for a way to add some extra good luck to your big day, consider wearing a red wedding dress.
In China, the color red is associated with good luck, happiness, and prosperity. As a result, it is traditional for Chinese brides to wear red on their wedding day.
The bride may wear a red dress, red shoes, and a red veil. Red is also a popular color for wedding decorations in China.
In traditional Taiwanese weddings, the bride will wear a beautiful red silk gown for her ceremony, often adorned with gold jewellery.
While in Japan, the bride will wear both a white wedding dress and a red wedding dress during her wedding day, combining the traditions of the east and west.
Red is also a common bridal colour for gowns in India, Pakistan, Vietnam, Korea, Singapore and South Sudan.
In India, the color red is often seen as a sign of fertility and prosperity.
As a result, many Indian brides choose to wear red on their wedding day.
The bride may wear a red sari or lehenga (a traditional Indian garment), or she may choose to wear a white dress with a red dupatta (scarf).
In North America, indigenous people such as the Hopi wore red in their wedding clothes to signify their connection with the land.
In ancient Greece, brides would often wear red gowns symbolising the more intimate nature of their relationship.
In Western culture, a bride wearing a red wedding dress is often seen as daring and unique.
While white is still the most popular color for wedding dresses in the West, more and more brides are choosing to break tradition and go with a colored wedding dress.
Whether you choose a traditional red gown or a more modern style, a red wedding dress is sure to turn heads.
Why wear a red dress?
Red is a powerful and emotional color. It is the color of love, passion, and danger.
Wearing a red dress on your wedding day can be a way to show your bold personality and add some extra excitement to your big day.
A red wedding dress can also be a beautiful and unique way to pay tribute to your cultural heritage.
If you are looking for a way to add some personal meaning to your wedding day, consider wearing a red dress.
No matter what your reasons are for wanting to wear a red wedding dress, there is no denying that it is a stunning choice.
If you are considering adding a pop of color to your big day, make sure to check out our favorite red wedding dresses blog.
Popular types of red wedding dresses
There are many different types of red wedding dresses to choose from.
Whether you are looking for a traditional gown or something more modern, there is sure to be a red dress that is perfect for you.
Here are some of the most popular types of red wedding dresses:
- A-line: An A-line dress is fitted at the waist and flares out at the bottom, creating a classic hourglass silhouette.
- Mermaid: Mermaid style dresses are fitted at the top and bottom, with a flared skirt that hugs your curves.
- Sheath: Sheath dresses are fitted throughout and often have a slimming effect.
- Ballgown: Ballgowns are dramatic and romantic. They have a fitted bodice and a full skirt that often flares out at the waist.
- Trumpet: Trumpet style dresses are fitted through the body and flare out at the knee, creating a figure-hugging silhouette.
If you are looking for a red wedding dress with a particular style in mind, make sure to check out our best red wedding dresses guide.
Phuong My dress
How to style your red wedding dress?
One of the best things about wearing a red wedding dress is that you can really have fun with your accessories.
Since red is such a bold color, you can get away with wearing more dramatic jewelry and shoes.
- Add a pop of color with your shoes or jewelry. If you are wearing a traditional red dress, consider adding a pair of brightly colored shoes or some statement jewelry.
- Go for a bold red lip color. A bold red lip will complement your red dress and make you feel extra glamorous on your big day.
- Keep your makeup simple. If you want your dress to be the star of the show, keep your makeup simple and natural.
- Wear your hair up or down. An up-do will help show off the details of your dress, while a down style will give you a more relaxed look.
- Consider adding a veil. A veil is a classic wedding accessory and can really help complete the look of your dress.
- If a veil is not for you then consider a bridal cape, we love a bridal cape for any coloured wedding dress.
Where to buy a red wedding dress?
If you are looking for a red wedding dress, there are many places you can shop.
Always head to your local wedding dress shop first.
They will be able to offer you the best advice on what is available and what shape and style will suit you best.
Here are some of our favorite online places to buy red wedding dresses:
- BHLDN: BHLDN is a great place to shop for unique and beautiful wedding dresses. They have a wide selection of red dresses to choose from.
- Etsy: Etsy is a great place to find vintage and handmade items. If you are looking for a one-of-a-kind dress, Etsy is definitely the place to check out.
- ASOS: ASOS is a great online retailer that offers a wide range of affordable dresses. They have a great selection of red wedding dresses to choose from.
- Harrods: Harrods is a luxury department store that offers a wide range of designer wedding dresses. If you are looking for a high-end dress, Harrods is a great place to start your search.
- Net-a-Porter: Net-a-Porter is an online retailer that specializes in designer fashion. If you are looking for a luxurious red dress, Net-a-Porter is a great place to start your search.
Needle & Thread dress
Things to consider when buying a red dress
When you are shopping for a red wedding dress, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
Shape and style
First, consider the style of your dress. If you want a traditional gown, look for something with classic details like a fitted bodice and full skirt.
If you are looking for something more modern, consider a sheath or mermaid style dress.
Second, think about the fabric of your dress. Silk is a classic choice for wedding dresses, but you can also find dresses made from satin, chiffon, or lace.
Shades and tones
Third, take into account the color of your dress. While most red dresses are a true red color, some may have accents of pink or purple.
Make sure to try on a few different shades to see what color looks best on you.
Finally, don’t forget to accessorize! Red is such a bold color that you can really have fun with your accessories.
Consider adding a statement necklace or a pair of brightly colored shoes to really make your dress pop.
We hope this red wedding dress meaning and guide has helped you in your search for the perfect red wedding dress.
Whether you are looking for a traditional gown or something more modern, we are sure you will be able to find the perfect dress for your big day.
More Fashion blogs
Written by: Last Updated: Bridal fashion has grown over the years and there are so many...
Your outfit is chosen and all your accessories are picked. Now all you need to sort is your...
The finishing touch to the perfect outfit! Bridesmaid nails can be overlooked but remember you...