Bridal fashion has grown over the years and there are so many fashion-forward modern dresses available to brides.
Finally, we can see this happening with the mother of the bride and groom’s outfits also.
Traditionally the mother’s outfits have been frumpy and old fashioned, but now you can find fantastic dresses for mums that not only look great and suit her figure but are modern and fashionable too.
So if you’re looking for something a little bit more unusual and stylish than the traditional mother of bride or groom outfit, then check out some of these fantastic dresses.
You’ll feel amazing and your children will love seeing you in one of these cool outfits!
How to not look frumpy in your mother of the bride outfit
According to Tania Stephans, who is an expert in over 50s fashion and styling.
“One of the most obvious signs that you’re looking frumpy is if your clothes are too big or too small. Clothes that are too big can make you look shapeless and unkempt, while clothes that are too small can be uncomfortable and unflattering.”
This is why I always suggest to mothers to have their dress or outfit professionally altered. It is not always needed but it is definitely a surefire way to not look frumpy.
I talk further down about styling your outfit as this can play a huge part in the overall look.
But the main thing is confidence and comfort. So making sure what you wear fits well and feels comfortable is the number one thing to consider. When you feel good it shows and as they say, confidence is key.
WHERE TO BUY unique MOTHER OF THE BRIDE DRESSES?
If you are looking for something that won’t make you look frumpy, we say forget about the traditional mother of the bride shops shops and get looking online.
Look in your favourite shops also and see what formal wear they have.
As a special occasion going to your favourite designer is a great way to have a classy mother of the bride or groom outfit.
BEST ONLINE PLACES FOR UNIQUE MOTHER OF THE BRIDE AND GROOM OUTFITS
Unique MOTHER OF THE BRIDE OR GROOM OUTFITS that are not frumpy
We are committed to providing unbiased, credible reviews so you can choose with confidence. We may earn commissions on purchases made from visiting our partner stores. Please see our policy here.
1. URBAN EDITOR CHOICE – ALEXANDER MACQUEEN
These dresses are for the ultra-cool mother looking for a fashion-forward dress.
One that is stylish and modern but with a bit of edge! My go-to wedding style!
2. MOST CLASSY MOTHER OF THE BRIDE OR GROOM DRESS – SELF PORTRAIT
This dress is perfect for a formal wedding, it is in a light pink traditional mother the bride colour.
But its modern design, great fit a stunning detail make it the perfect choice for the elegant modern mother.
3. THE BEST FLORAL DRESS – NEEDLE AND THREAD
This maxi dress is light and floaty, it would work in all seasons with its long sheer sleeves.
It is perfect for a formal or relaxed outdoor wedding.
4. BEST GOLD MOTHER OF THE BRIDE OR GROOM DRESS – TALBOT RUNHOF
This is definitely a showstopper mother of the bride dress. Full-length gold sequin fabric adds drama and luxury to really wow on the big day.
Head here for more gold mother of the bride and groom outfits.
5. CAPE MOTHER OF THE BRIDE DRESS – ELLIE SAAB
We love a bridal cape here at the urban wedding company! But why should only the bride or groom have a cape?
Ellie Saab has a few stunning cape options. They are a great choice not to look frumpy!
7. BEST PANTSUIT – REISS
The stone colour of this pantsuit is stylish, comfy and so modern for the mother of the bride or groom.
Reiss is always my go to for suits and tailoring.
Size: 6 – 14 | Fabric: Cotton
More Pantsuits for the mother of the bride and groom.
8. BEST WINTER – MIA DREAM DESIGN
Nothing says winter like velvet!
It can be hard to find a stylish dress that will also keep you warm. This one is definitely both!
9. BEST PLUS SIZE – HOPE AND IVY
Curvy ladies need a dress that will show off all their beautiful curves.
We love this pretty dress that flows and fits in all the right places.
10. BEST LACE – SELF PORTRAIT
Modern lace, no net curtain look here!
The cut, the lace and the colour of this dress just make it a super stylish dream.
Check out some more self portrait options, never a frumpy dress in sight!
11. BEST JUMPSUIT – ASOS
I love this jumpsuit. The shape is great and feels amazing on. The perfect summer or spring mother of the bride outfit.
It is light and comfy while still looking stylish and modern.
More Mother of the Bride and Groom Blogs You Will Love!
12. BEST BUDGET – ASOS
Sometimes spending less means you have to compromise. With this dress there is none!
Stylish, modern mother of the bride dress. It is simple but still packs a wow and definitely won’t be looking frumpy in this one!
14. SKIRT AND JACKET – LISA TAN COAST
How super stylish is this two-piece? They do it in oink also but I just love how stylish the navy color is.
15. GREEN LACE – SELF PORTRAIT
I love the unique green colour of this dress.
The cut and design make it super stylish while the colour adds that pop.
16. TEA-LENGTH DRESS – COAST
I am in love with this dress! It feels so great and gets you ready to dance the night away!
17. FOR FLORAL LOVERS – ZIMMERMANN
The perfect spring mother of the bride or groom outfit! I love the floral ombre effect.
18. TUXEDO DRESS – COAST
If you want the formal suit look but with a modern take this dress is for you!
19. MODERN METALLIC – ALTUZARRA
This dress is so perfect for a black tie or formal wedding.
Soften in the day with a nude jacket and then shine bright in the evening.
20. BEST LACE MOTHER OF THE BRIDE DRESS – LISA TAN, COAST
This dress just has it all, gorgeous fabric, unique design elements great simple silhouette.
Stylish, modern, and fun!
21. BEST WRAP DRESS – MAYLEEN STUDIO
This dress is super pretty and fun. Perfect for any season.
22. BEST NAVY – COAST
I shared the skirt version of this trouser suit above.
I love them both equally and this version is for the mother who doesn’t to wear a skirt or dress and still look uber stylish.
How to style an outfit to not look frumpy
Styling a mother of the bride outfit to avoid looking frumpy involves selecting the right clothing, accessories, and makeup to create a sophisticated look. Here are some tips to help you achieve that:
- Choose a Flattering Dress:
- Opt for a dress or outfit that complements your body shape and fits well. Consider A-line, sheath, or wrap-style dresses, as they tend to be universally flattering.
- Pay attention to the length of the dress; a knee-length or tea-length dress is often a good choice, as it looks elegant without being overly formal.
- Select the Right Color:
- Consult with the bride to ensure your outfit complements the wedding colour scheme.
- Neutral colours like navy, champagne, silver, or soft pastels are typically safe and sophisticated choices.
- Focus on Fabric:
- Choose high-quality, luxurious fabrics that drape well and add an element of sophistication to your outfit, such as silk, chiffon, or lace.
- Less is more, don’t go for fabrics with too much detail or texture they can be overpowering
- Accessorize Thoughtfully:
- Add statement jewellery like a statement necklace, elegant earrings, or a stylish bracelet to elevate your look.
- A clutch bag or small handbag in a coordinating colour can be a stylish addition.
- Keep it simple and stylish, pick colours that compliment your outfit
- Consider a Jacket or Cover-Up:
- Depending on the weather and the formality of the event, you may want to wear a matching jacket, shawl, or bolero to stay warm and add a layer of sophistication.
- Again, consider your outfit choice and don’t over layer to look bulky and want the lengths to match up.
- Pay Attention to Makeup and Hairstyling:
- Consider professional makeup and hairstyling to complete your look.
- Opt for a natural and polished makeup look, and choose a hairstyle that complements your dress and personal style.
- Confidence is Key:
- Confidence can make any outfit look stylish. Wear your outfit with pride and confidence, and you’ll radiate elegance.
- Tailoring Matters:
- Ensure your outfit fits perfectly by getting it tailored if necessary. Proper fit can significantly enhance your overall appearance. It can be key to not looking frumpy!
- Consider Your Personal Style:
- Incorporate elements of your personal style into your outfit to feel comfortable and authentic.
- What you usually wear is more than likely what suits you, work with that but looking for something more special.
Ultimately, the key to not looking frumpy is to strike a balance between elegance and comfort while staying true to your personal style.
Collaborate with the bride and consider her preferences while choosing your outfit to ensure that it complements the overall wedding theme.
Check out these real mothers of the brides for fabulous inspiration:
More blogs you will love!
- Unique Mother of the Bride or Groom Outfits, No Frumpy Mother Dresses Here!
- Mother of the Bride Dresses for Over 60
- Mother of the Bride Dresses for Over 50
- Mother of the bride’s nails: stylish and elegant nail ideas
- Stunning Short Mother of the Bride Dresses: Perfect for Any Wedding
- the hottest summer mother of the bride and groom dresses and outfits