Weddings are expensive, and not just for the couple! The cost of attending a wedding can add up quickly, especially if you are a bridesmaid.
We are not going to talk about who should pay for what, we have that covered already. But either way, someone needs to cover the costs of bridesmaid outfits.
In this blog, we will look at what these costs might be and share some tips on lowering them.
Average costs of bridesmaid dresses and outfits
The average cost of bridesmaid dresses is similar in UK and USA. For new dresses, you can expect to spend anywhere from £100/$100 up to £400/$300. With most at the lower end and the average being about £150/$150.
How much you do spend depends on the budget of the person paying. If the couple is paying then you need to think in terms of all the outfits within the budget.
If the bridesmaids are paying then offering a range can be best so people can choose a dress within their budget.
Also, don’t forget it is not just the dress needed.
Other bridesmaid outfit costs
Once the dress or outfit is sorted you then have to complete the look. Here is a list of other costs you might need to consider.
- Hair and make up
- Accessories – belt, hair piece, jacket, or shawl
- Underwear – if you need a certain type because of dress
- Nails and pre-beauty – if you like to tan or prep for an event
Urban Top Tip
Rememeber you can always resell your bridemaid dress or outfits. Whether it is the couple or bridesmaids paying. They should always get around half the price back if sold on.
How to save money on a bridesmaid dress or outfit?
1. Take advantage of sales
The best time to buy bridesmaid dresses is usually in January. Most bridesmaid designers and shops have new year sales. But also most fashion stores have sales in January.
So no matter what you are looking you can find a bargain bridesmaid dress. I have seen bridesmaid dresses with up to 70% off in winter sales.
Another time is Black Friday or seasonal sales. This would be more fashion retailers but if you have enough time buy your summer dresses the year before at the end of summer. The same applies to each season.
2. Buy preloved bridesmaid dresses
Head to our favourite reselling site and see what you can get. Bridesmaid dresses are usually worn once so buying secondhand usually means buying nearly new.
It is great for your budget and the environment choosing to buy preloved bridesmaid dresses. You can then resell it again.
Going for mismatched bridesmaid dresses can make looking for secondhand dresses easier. Or going for popular brands and styles to make them easier to source.
3. Rent your bridesmaid dresses
It use to be normal to rent wedding attire and then with fast fashion and the growth in wedding fashion as a whole. Now though with the drive to lower the cost to the environment with weddings, it is growing again.
There are some amazing designer dress renters now that your bridal party could be in high-end designer for a fraction of the price!
More blogs you will love!
- Bridesmaid Nails for all Bridal Party Styles
- Copper Bridesmaid Dresses for a Fabulous Fall Wedding and Every Season
- The Best Places to Buy Bridesmaid Dresses in the UK
- Modern Coral Bridesmaid Dresses Your Party Will Love!
- Satin Bridesmaid Dresses: Trendy and Timeless for a Modern Wedding
- Where to find cheap bridesmaid dresses – Even Less than £30!
- Slip dresses for bridesmaids: where to buy and how to style
- Olive Green Bridesmaid Dresses for All Styles and Seasons
- Size-Inclusive Style: The Best Bridesmaid Dresses for All Shapes and Sizes