Only a few years ago it was so hard to get velvet bridesmaid dresses in the UK. It has definitely got better and we will be sharing some gorgeous options below.
If you are looking for something specific then you may have to consider looking outside the UK for velvet bridesmaid options. Just make sure you check returns and if you will be charged import fees.
Bridesmaids in velvet are one of my favourite looks. They can work for any season and style of wedding.
They definitely suit a fall or winter wedding perfectly. They work well with other fabrics for a mismatched look.
where to buy velvet dresses
|Shop||Best for||Price Range||UK Sizes|
|Coast||Modern affordable pieces||£100 – £300||4 – 26|
|Reformation||Sustainable and stylish pieces||£300 – £500||4 – 28|
|Asos||Budget and great sizing choices||£30 – £200||2 – 30|
|Selfridges||Luxury brands||£70 – £500||6 – 24|
|Oasis Fashion||Modern high-quality pieces||£80 – £200||6 – 24|
|Ghost London||Fashion forward pieces||£150 – £250||6 – 16|
|Needle & Thread||Embellished and pretty prints||£300 – £600||4 – 20|
|Pretty Lavish||Affordable and lots of variety||£60 – £100||8 – 18|
We are committed to providing unbiased, credible reviews so you can choose with confidence. We may earn commissions on purchases made from visiting our partner stores. Please see our policy here.
Spring & summer velvet dresses
If you are having a spring or summer wedding you can still have velvet bridesmaid outfits. You need to consider the style and fabric of the dresses though.
You can get thinner velvet fabric and this would be needed. I would go for a lighter colour to give it a softer feel. Then also go for a thin strap and less coverage, this will again will stop the issue of bridesmaids overheating in them.
1. BEST Lightweight – Jenny Yoo
Okay, hear me out! I know, velvet in spring. This is perfect for early spring when it’s a little cooler. It is lightweight and will work so well with the soft colour.
Size: 6 – 20 | Fabric: Velvet | Length: Maxi | Color: Dark Eucalyptus
2. Olive green velvet dress
This dress actually comes in 25 colours.
The lightweight velvet and thin straps make it perfect for warmer weather.
Sizes: 0 – 32 | Fabric: Velvet| Colour: Dusty Olive
4. Light copper – Jenny Yoo
I love the rusty colour of this velvet dress. The low v-neck adds a little sexiness.
The light fabric makes it perfect for spring or summer.
Size: 4 – 20 | Fabric: Velvet | Color: English Rose
Autumn & winter velvet dresses
Velvet definitely feels like it was made for autumn and winter bridesmaid dresses. You can go with a thicker cosy fabric in the cooler months. It feels a little less restricted and any style will work.
Also, rich warm colours work so well in winter and autumn that there are so many stunning options.
6. Navy winter bridesmaid dress – Coast
This navy velvet bridesmaid dress is perfect for a winter wedding.
It will keep bridesmaids warm while looking stylish.
Sizes: 8 – 18 | Fabric: Velvet | Colour: Navy
7. Turtle neck velvet bridesmaid – Desir Vale
I love the drama of this dress! Definitely a winter one with that turtle neck.
Sizes: xxSmall – xLarge | Fabric: Velvet| Colour: Emerald
8. Burgundy velvet bridesmaid dresses – Desir Couture
These dresses are stunning. There are lots of colour options but burgundy is always a great winter choice.
I love that you can get the 3 styles so bridesmaids can choose what suits them.
Sizes: xSmall – 7xLarge | Fabric: Velvet| Colour: Burgundy
This year’s hottest velvet bridesmaid outfits
9. convertible velvet dress – revelry
The ruffle detail on this dress can be moved around to give different sleeve and neckline looks.
Sizes: 0 – 32 | Fabric: Velvet | Colour: Dusty Rose
10. Dusty blue velvet dress – Baltic Born
I just love this colour! Just made even more gorgeous with this super soft velvet fabric.
Sizes: xSmall – 3xLarge | Fabric: | Colour:
12. Best for a black tie wedding – Asos
The silhouette of this dress makes it perfect for a formal wedding.
Sizes: 4 – 18 | Fabric: Velvet| Colour: Navy
13. Best pattern velvet dress – Sister of the tribe
This dress is a great modern choice. The burnout pattern adds texture and a subtle pattern.
Sizes: 6 – 16 | Fabric: Velvet| Colour: Green Velvet
14. One shoulder velvet bridesmaid dress – Jenny Yoo
I love the simple but stylish design of Jenny Yoo’s bridesmaid dresses.
The one shoulder design just adds that extra detail to elevate the dress.
Sizes: 4 – 20 | Fabric: Velvet| Colour: Emerald
15. For a formal wedding – Asos
This knee length velvet dress is a little different than the normal velvet bridesmaid dress.
I love it for a formal but short dress look.
Sizes: 4 – 18 | Fabric: Velvet | Colour: Forest Green
16. Best velvet bridesmaid jumpsuit – Coast
How stunning is this jumpsuit?
This is the perfect winter bridesmaid jumpsuit.
Sizes: 8 – 18 | Fabric: Velvet | Colour: Merlot
17. For an elegant look – Coast
This dress will suit all age bridesmaids but I do think this is a good choice if you have older bridesmaids and want a velvet dress.
Sizes: 8 – 18 | Fabric: Velvet | Colour: Fig
18. Best black velvet bridesmaid – coast
I love this dress! Feels amazing on and the intricate embellishments are so pretty.
Sizes: 8 – 18 | Fabric: Velvet | Colour: Black
19. For a timeless look – Jenny Yoo
What I love about this dress is that even though it is on trend and modern you will still love it in 10/20 years’ time.
Sizes: 4 – 20 | Fabric: Velvet | Colour: Emerald
20. short velvet bridesmaid – Pristine Studio Design
This dress silhouette is so flattering. The square neckline is so on trend right now also!
Sizes: 0 – 20 | Fabric: Velvet | Colour: Green
21. For modern bridesmaids – Jenny Yoo
The simple silhouette with a square neckline is the perfect modern choice. also, how stunning is this colour?
Sizes: 4 – 20 | Fabric: Velvet | Colour: French Blue
Mismatching velvet bridesmaid dresses
There are so many ways to mismatch velvet bridesmaid dresses. You can do different colours.
You can mix in different fabrics, satins and chiffon can soften the overall look.
Adding in patterns is harder but when done right you will have one stylish looking bridal party.
styling a velvet bridesmaid dress
Styling a velvet bridesmaid dress can be a fun and elegant endeavour. Velvet is a luxurious and rich fabric, so it’s essential to choose accessories and makeup that complement the dress. Here are some tips on how to style a velvet bridesmaid dress:
- Choose the Right Color: Velvet comes in various colours, so make sure the colour of the dress complements the wedding theme and the bride’s gown. Classic colours like deep burgundy, emerald green, navy blue, or blush pink are popular choices for velvet bridesmaid dresses.
- Consider the Dress Style: The style of the dress will influence the overall look. Whether it’s a floor-length gown, a midi dress, or a two-piece set, choose a style that suits your body type and personal style.
- Minimalist Jewelry: Since velvet is a statement fabric, opt for minimalistic jewellery. Delicate necklaces, stud earrings, and a simple bracelet can add a touch of elegance without overwhelming the dress.
- Statement Earrings: If you prefer a bold look, consider wearing statement earrings with your velvet dress. Large, sparkly, or unique earrings can draw attention to your face and add a pop of glamour.
- Clutch or Evening Bag: A small clutch or evening bag in a complementary colour can be a stylish addition. Look for one with subtle embellishments or metallic accents to enhance your outfit.
- Hair and Makeup: Velvet has a classic and vintage feel, so consider hairstyles that match this aesthetic, such as soft waves, updos, or retro-inspired styles. Your makeup should be well-balanced; if you choose dramatic eyes, go for a softer lip colour, and vice versa.
- Heels or Elegant Flats: Velvet dresses pair well with high heels to create an elongated silhouette. Choose a heel height that you’re comfortable with and can walk in confidently. If you’re not a fan of heels, you can opt for elegant flats or block-heeled shoes for comfort.
- Nail Polish: Coordinate your nail polish colour with your dress or the wedding’s colour scheme for a polished look.
Velvet bridesmaid dresses FAQs
Are velvet bridesmaid dresses comfortable to wear?
Velvet bridesmaid dresses can be comfortable to wear, but it depends on the quality of the fabric and the style of the dress. Velvet is a soft and plush fabric, but it can also be heavy and warm, so it’s important to choose a dress that is appropriate for the season and the climate.
How do I care for and clean a velvet bridesmaid dress
Velvet is a delicate fabric that requires special care when cleaning. Here are some tips for caring for and cleaning a velvet bridesmaid dress:
– Read the care label: Before you clean your velvet bridesmaid dress, read the care label to check for any specific instructions or warnings.
Avoid water and moisture: Velvet can be damaged by water and moisture, so it’s important to avoid getting the dress wet. If you need to remove a stain, use a dry cleaning solvent and a clean white cloth to blot the stain.
– Hang the dress: After wearing your velvet bridesmaid dress, hang it up immediately to prevent wrinkles and creases from setting in.
Use a soft brush: To remove any dust or dirt from the dress, use a soft-bristled brush or a velvet brush to gently brush the fabric.
– Steam the dress: If the dress has wrinkles or creases, use a garment steamer or a cool iron to gently steam the fabric. Avoid applying too much pressure or heat, as this can damage the velvet.
– Store the dress properly: When you’re not wearing your velvet bridesmaid dress, store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Avoid hanging the dress in a plastic bag or a damp environment, as this can cause mildew and damage the fabric.
– Professional cleaning: For more serious stains or if the dress needs a thorough cleaning, take it to a professional dry cleaner who specializes in cleaning velvet fabrics.
Can velvet bridesmaid dresses be altered easily?
Velvet is a delicate and thick fabric that can be challenging to work with, so alterations may require more time and care than with other fabrics. Some common alterations that may be needed for velvet bridesmaid dresses include hemming the length, taking in or letting out the waistline, or adjusting the straps or sleeves.
It’s important to choose a skilled and experienced tailor or seamstress who has experience working with velvet fabric. They will be able to advise you on the best way to alter the dress while maintaining the integrity of the fabric and the overall look of the dress.
More blogs you will love!
- Bridesmaid Nails for all Bridal Party Styles
- Copper Bridesmaid Dresses for a Fabulous Fall Wedding and Every Season
- The Best Places to Buy Bridesmaid Dresses in the UK
- Modern Coral Bridesmaid Dresses Your Party Will Love!
- Satin Bridesmaid Dresses: Trendy and Timeless for a Modern Wedding
- Where to find cheap bridesmaid dresses – Even Less than £30!
- Slip dresses for bridesmaids: where to buy and how to style
- Olive Green Bridesmaid Dresses for All Styles and Seasons
- Size-Inclusive Style: The Best Bridesmaid Dresses for All Shapes and Sizes